Tuition Equity: Questions and Answers

Read the UO’s statement on DACA and its support for students.

Lea esta infomación en español.

The University of Oregon community is pleased that Governor John Kitzhaber signed House Bill 2787 into law.

The law provides that students who meet certain criteria are exempt from nonresident tuition and fees—in other words, they would pay the same rates as Oregon residents—for five years after initial enrollment at a public university in Oregon.

Who does the law affect?

  • Eligible students who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States
  • Eligible students who are financially dependent upon a person who is not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States

What are the eligibility criteria?

To be eligible, students must

  • attend school in the United States for at least five years
  • study at a high school in Oregon for at least three years
  • apply for a federal taxpayer ID or other official federal documentation
  • show their intent to become a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (if they are not already)

How do I show my intent to become a citizen or lawful permanent resident?

Submit an

(PDF) to the University of Oregon stating that you have filed an application to legalize your immigration status or will file one as soon as you are eligible. Complete and submit the affidavit to:

Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217

I still have questions. Who can I talk to?

Download a list of

(PDF), find the admissions counselor for your area, or call us at 800-BE-A-DUCK or 541-346-3201.

To speak to someone in Spanish call