Undergraduate degrees: BA or BS
About the Major
A bachelor of arts or science degree with a popular music studies concentration provides students with a comprehensive course of study focused on songwriting, music production, music performance, music theory, and popular music history and culture. It can also include preparation for music entrepreneurship through coursework in marketing, business, and law.
Students choose from a variety of performance ensembles, including gospel choirs, a hip hop ensemble, and popular music combos, among others. They can use elective requirements to deepen their engagement with a variety of subjects, including music production, jazz, electronic music, and the history and culture of popular music.
A degree concentration in popular music studies requires approximately two years of music coursework with no audition or portfolio needed.
- The artist track is for aspiring performers and songwriters wishing to pursue careers as popular music artists, focused on creating and releasing original material.
- The industry track is for students seeking to be professionals in the music industry. It provides a comprehensive, well-rounded course of study focused on the development of professional skill sets.
- The music business track is for students seeking careers as businesspeople in the music industry, combining one of the above tracks, most likely the Essentials Track, with a second major in Business or Journalism is a recommended course of study.
- The essentials track allows students to complete degree requirements with the broadest possible range of course options and fewest number of credits. This track can work well for students who are double-majoring.
- In the hybrid track, the path may be hybridized for specialized student goals and areas of focus.