Below are the standard admission requirements for freshmen. See the requirements for:
- English—4 years. All four years should be in preparatory composition and literature with emphasis on and frequent practice in writing expository prose.
- Mathematics—3 years. Must include first-year algebra and two additional years of college-preparatory mathematics, including Algebra II (or equivalent) or higher. An advanced mathematics course is highly recommended in your senior year. One year of either algebra or geometry taken prior to ninth grade are acceptable.
- Science—3 years. Must include a year each in two fields of college-preparatory science such as biology, chemistry, physics, or earth and physical science. One year of laboratory science is recommended.
- Social Studies—3 years. Complete three years of social studies from such areas as global studies, history, or social studies electives.
- Second language—2 years. The UO offers several options for meeting the second-language requirement.
Advise us early in the admission process of any personal circumstances that affected your academic performance, especially if you do not meet one or more of the admission requirements. Include a statement with your application describing any personal challenges you’ve overcome and explain their impact on your education. Details of any serious illness, diagnosed disability, personal difficulties, or family circumstances that have affected your education are encouraged. Maximum statement length is 500 words. This statement is not required.
If you do not meet one or more of the standard admission requirements, review the options for alternative admission, including information for students from nonaccredited high schools. Also, see the requirements for homeschooled students and students who earned a GED.